Tamara Day is host and designer of Magnolia Network’s Bargain Mansions, CEO and Founder of Growing Days Home and Growing Days Design, and also a wife and mom to 4 kiddos! If you watch Bargain Mansions, you know that she buys and renovates homes to give them new life for today’s modern families. Her trademark design style? “Laid back luxe” which combines touches of glam with a cozy livable vibe so your space is both beautiful and practical.
We talked to Tamara before she plans on appearing at the Minneapolis Home + Remodeling Show, taking place Feb. 2-4 at U.S. Bank Stadium, and got the inside scoop on all things home design and a few of her favorite things.
1. What home gadget or tool should every homeowner own?
A multi tool, it’s good for all kinds of stuff!
2. What home project is worth saving on? What is worth splurging on?
You can install your own wallpaper, but splurge on really good wallpaper!
3. What’s your favorite home reno TV series?
I am a little biased, Bargain Mansions!
4. What is one project you tell people to NOT do as DIY?
Plumbing & electrical - don’t mess with it!
5. What’s one design tip for a big impact in a small space?
Reproduction art or rugs.
6. Favorite room in your home?
7. What do you enjoy about being at a home show?
Everything! The inspiration is all around you - the people around you - and having products all around that you can touch and feel and interact with is amazing.
8. What’s in your bag or purse?
Glasses, lipstick and gum
9. What is an outdated home trend you hope doesn’t come back?
Carpet in bathrooms! Yuck!
10. When you design a room, what is the most important interior design advice you give?
Really know the style you want - have the research done so you can hone in on the look so you don’t end up with a little bit of this and a lot of that.